Monday, November 19, 2012

How Twinkies' outcry reveals America's lack of discipline

There are A LOT of overweight people in my family.

Don't get me wrong. They are NICE people who would help a stranger if asked. They are all good-hearted people who want to see everyone do well. They are GOOD people. But when it comes to food, sometimes they make bad decisions in selection, preparation, and Oh Lawd quantity.


I struggle each day to make sure I make healthy decisions, so that I don't have to deal with early onset of diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease. I beat myself up sometimes when I drink a 100 calorie Lipton tea instead of water.

I've never had a problem with my weight, but it's because I'm conscious of what I'm carrying around in my genes.

Even outside of my family, it's so CRAZY that with the rampant rate of obesity in the United States, there would be so many people upset about the end of Hostess Twinkies.

According to Wikipedia, a single Twinkie contains 2.5 grams of saturated fat, representing 13% of the recommended daily intake of saturated fat based on a 2,000 calorie diet. It is 42% sugars, 21% complex carbohydrates and 11% fat by weight.

C'mon guys! We've GOT to do better! That is, if we want to be around to create that great legacy we have envisioned for our kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment