About Me

My photo

No matter how far along I get in life, I'll always refer to myself as "That chick that grew up poor in the drug-filled streets of Port Arthur, Texas." Always a bad ass!

Right now, I'm going through a top-down transformation. I'm starting with my hair - taking it from processed to natural; and so far I'm loving it. Get updates on my process on newtonatural.com.

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

My Grown Up Slumber Party

My husband (+Titus Amos) has this really twisted image of what a slumber party looks like. EVERY time the topic comes up, he starts grinning and snickering, and then starts talking about how he knows women (because only we have slumber parties, right?) have pillow fights and get naked in front of each other. I have never let him get his entire fantasy out into the atmosphere. I just don't think I could take it.

However, after putting some thought into why I still love slumber parties so much, it came to my attention that the reason is him.

I moved from Sherwood, AR to Jackson, MS on February 14, 2013 to be with Titus. I left my home, family, friends, career behind because I found in him LOVE, LOYALTY, HONESTY, SECURITY, PASSION, an amazing sense of humor, excitement, trust. . . All the things that I had pieced together from people that I was attracted to. I needed the full package; and he brought it.

But my biggest concern was, WILL IT LAST? This thing that I found, could it endure my moody days when I'm crying and angry and worried; my migraine days when I'm in such intense pain that I can't open my eyes or get out of bed; my frustrated days when I want to pack my bags in the middle of the night and run far, far away.

Well, here's what I learned. .

At some point, in even the most passionate relationship, you settle into a routine with your better half. You start to take little things for granted. You get comfortable with the consistency of having someone around that you know you know you know so there's a lot less talking about the mundane or obvious.

That could get REALLY boring really quick.

However, every single day we are together - and we spend A LOT of time together because we eat lunch together and fall asleep together and hang out together - it's something different. EVERY day! It's really crazy.

And he is the Grand Master of Spontaneity so if the something different isn't different enough to shake things up, he wants to take a trip (with me), or step out (with me), or watch a movie marathon (with me), or cook something completely unique (with me).

And even for him that perverted Lesbian Slumber Party fantasy is morphing into a Married Couple Slumber Party fantasy that sometimes is much more sensual than he had ever imagined a slumber party could be. . But anyway, I digress.

At this point, I just wish that I could go back and tell my 7-year old self that was heartbroken when her best friend found a new best friend that if she just stayed true to who she is one day she would meet the ultimate best friend who would never leave her, ignore her, talk behind her back, or replace here. And she will be able to have the slumber parties she obsessed over every day of her adult life.

It all worked out for me, but I could've saved my sassy, 7-year old self the two seconds I invested in worrying.

No comments:

Post a Comment